CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sometimes you have to wonder....


Our choir sang in church today. It is difficult to attend rehearsals, I appreciate that. We have to arrange for a babysitter so we can go. Sometimes that doesn't happen, but I have never understood how people who have been to zero or only 1 practice for a particular song, feel comfortable getting up on Sunday to participate. I couldn't do it. They must be far more confidant than I.

So, we sang a primary song that turned out gorgeous. It was I Wonder When He Comes Again. Always a favorite. So, the timing in the version we sang was slightly different in a place or two. Well, during the performance, the people not at practice sang it like they primary version, while I (felt like) was the only woman singing the correct timing. It happened on both verses. So what does it look like - that I don't know what I am singing and was the one off. But I swear, I wasn't!! Just in case anyone out there was wondering. I was singing correctly...if you don't believe me you can ask Sister Lee (the chorister!).

I don't mind having everyone there, I actually prefer not having only one or to sopranos....but I think you get the gist. It just made me feel like everyone thought I was an idiot. Has this ever happened to you? OK, I'm over it now. On with your lives.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I just got released from being choir director after doing it for almost 2 years. Our stake isn't allowed to have meetings on Sundays, which means we had Wednesday night choir practice. It was next to impossible to get people to show up. Every single month we'd get at least a half a dozen people coming up to the stand to sing who had never come to practice. While I appreciated the extra voices, it was so annoying to not be able to do anything slightly difficult, or change from what's written on the page. I really would have liked to try some unique songs, but I knew there would be people showing up trying to sightread a difficult song without knowing what we're doing!! Annoying. I feel your pain.

Chris and Emily said...

I hate that too! I get put on a different end of it though - people ask me the morning the choir is singing to come up and help the sopranos... usually 2 or 3 people want me to walk up there and join them. But I don't want to do that - it's so rude. "OK everybody, I'm here to save the day." PLEASE. My best cure for choirs with too many drop-in singers is to memorize the music and/or don't have anything available music-wise for people to get... they might be more intimidated. But then, you can never stop the ward member who has "music all figured out" - they'll do what they want anyway.

Lori Muir said...

Wow! I am still taking my hiatus from ward choir because I have a "baby". My funny story is that when Jacey was little, I had got up at like 6 a.m. one Sunday morning so I could attend a choir rehearsal. During the meeting, Jacey cried. I took her out, but was about to bring her back when Jeff sent Kira out to go potty. We had to walk around to the other end of the church, and by the time she was done and we were heading back, the choir was already on the way up to the front. Talk about ANGER! Jeff was of course oblivious. Yeah, that kind of soured my choir experience for a while.

Mindy said...

I was there and thought it sounded great!!! I didn't notice you singing in the "wrong" spot!! I was actually wondering how people had the time to go to practice. You are amazing!