CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Lost Tradition



As a child, my family and I would go on vacations. One of my favorite things to do (where aver we went) was to look through post cards. The pictures were always beautiful. There were also funny ones. They were quite the souvenir. I would usually bring a list of addresses with me of friends and family and purchase post cards for them.


It seems post cards are a dying tradition. When was the last time you bought postcards when you were in an "exotic" place? Can't remember? I'm not surprised. These days there are so many other "quicker" forms of communication (Internet, cells phones, texting) and even any snail mail is becoming obsolete.

Post Cards are a fun way to update people with where you are and what you are doing. A way to be able to share with those you care about, the enjoyable time you are having (or not, as the case may be). According to wikipedia, the postal cards came about in 1861 because the public was looking for an easier way to send quick notes. Easier to fill out and send than a letter. Brief, to the point, and colorful! So much of our countries history is depicted in post cards. In 1908, more than 677 million postcards were mailed. How many do you think are mailed today? I bet not 677,000,000!

I received a postcard this week from The Field Museum in Chicago, Ill. It's the first I've gotten in a while. You can be sure if I go anywhere fun this summer, you will be getting a post card about it! If you go anywhere, I'd love for you to send one my way.

Postcards: Eiffel Tower, Paris France
Antique Christmas Post Card
BYU Cheer (old) post card
Santa Rosa, CA after the 1906 Earthquake post card
PS- when I posted the poll, Vi had 2 loose teeth, but by the middle of it she had three. You decide which answer is correct!

3 comments:

Shara said...

So Craig and I have a tradition to write each other a post card and mail it whenever we go on vacation. Those are my favorite souvenirs!! I hope we keep this tradition a long time. :)

Sandra said...

I got one of those Field Museum postcards too! The kids loved it and were excited to get something in the mail.

Shelby and Melissa Drake Family said...

If you put a HTML paragraph tag after your paragraphs, it should put a space between them. It will not let me put it in this comment, but it is less and greater than signs with a p in the middle

Try it out