CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Canada/Seattle


(Cathleen, Melinda, Kay, Stephanie, Me, Aubrey & Are')
(Melinda & Amber)
(Me Pickin' the Boar's nose - yes my eyes are closed, again!)

I had the opportunity to go on a trip to Seattle and Canada in September. It was fun to visit places I have never been to before, and also to get away. I did have baby Vaughn with me. We had a good time. It was a fairly large group of women. Things went fairly smooth, no lost luggage or things like that. We flew to Seattle and then drove to Annacortes and took a ferry to Victoria, Canada. It was my first time in Canada.

(Aubrey, Callum, Stephanie, Are', Kay, Melinda, Cathleen & Amber)
We had a bit of a shock when we got to Canada and found that Priceline had booked us into a hotel connected to a strip club. Yep, a strip club. Luckily the only time strippers were actually spotted, they were fully clothed. Note to self, don't stay at the hotel in the future! There were a lot of cute shops and sights in Canada.
We were able to go to Butchart Gardens. Wow, that place is phenomenal. I don't have a wide knowledge of flowers.
(Melinda, Aubrey, Are', Kay, Me (Vaughn screaming)Cathleen & Stephanie)
My favorite things was the smell. So fragrant. The colors and variety, oh my gosh! I saw more flowers that day than I have probably seen in my entire life! It has an amazing story. There were a lot of tourists from other countries. It was funny to see people's reactions to babies. I had Vaughn and m y friend Aubrey had her little boy who is 2 weeks younger than Vaughn. You would think people had never seen an infant before. Such a novelty.
We also saw the Parliament building. Gorgeous! And went to Craigdarroch Castle. It is huge, and beautiful The wood work must have taken years and years! If you would like more information, go here. We enjoyed some interesting experiences being in another country. My favorite is when we went to Wal Mart. It was in a department store like setting. You parked in a parking garage and then went up an escalator to the second and third levels where the store was. Upon leaving Wal mart with your cart full of groceries, there was a devise in between the up and down escalator where you hooked the cart and sent it down to the garage level. I have pictures coming of that.
(Melinda Posing and Aubrey)
(Room in the Castle)
Seattle is a great city. Here we stayed in one of the oldest hotels, The Camlin. I fell in love with it immediately. The hotel is on the national registry of historic hotels. Next to each door was a framed box with the original Door knob and number. Since they have upgraded to key cards, the old door knobs were a little obs-elite, but so decorative and fancy. The electric blue sign is still lit every night. Such fun!
(Camlin Hotel)
In Seattle we went to Pike Place Market. Such a bustling place. Smells strongly of fish. There were HUGE bouquets of flowers that you could purchase for $5-$10. So beautiful! We ate yummy food at Ivars. I had clam chowder. We walked around everywhere in Seattle or took public transportation. I believe it was my first time on an actual city bus. There was a station convenient across the street from our hotel that went straight to the airport!
(Melinda, Are', Cathleen)
We took a Harbor Ferry tour where we learned a lot about the City, and saw many landmarks, including the space needle and Washington Mutual Tower and Smith Tower. It was a great way to see the skyline. We also learned about Seattle's underground. We took a tour of it and learned the history of Seattle. Basically through a series of events the town burnt and had to be rebuilt. The rebuilding made what was the second story of buildings the First story. Quite amazing. It was my favorite part of Seattle. I learned a ton and the guides were very amusing and even told a few tasteful jokes. One of which was just for our group (we were probably the only ones who got is) where the punch line was the so and so became the first Latter Day Saint in Seattle (They had done some thing saintly). We all laughed. My arms got buff on that tour because I carried Vaughn for 2 hours straight. I could feel it in my biceps.
(Stephanie, Kay, Me, Amber, Melinda, Cathleen & Are')
We came across the infamous wall of gum. It was vile and almost made me vomit. Multiple times. Ewwwww! Don't worry, there are lost more pictures on their way for your enjoyment. Some how Lucinda evaded them all so far! I also had a lot of fun playing a few games, visiting and relaxing. We probably walked 100 miles and ate lots of great food. Thank you for those of you on the trip who put up with the screamer (Vaughn didn't like the car or being in his car seat). Yeah for Girls weekends!!!!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like such a fun trip. I've always wanted to check out that part of the country.

Elysia said...

Sounds like you guys had fun. So, when are you guys coming to Alabama?

Jenny said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I love girls weekends! What made you guys pick that part of the country?

We actually have a cart escalator like you described at the Target by my house. The Target is built on a hill, so it has a parking garage with elevators and escalators from the store to the garage.