CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 23, 2012

Elaine and Handen


 So I got a facebook message the other day from my BFF Deann.  This is what it said: "So last night Handen, Judy and I watched Bridge to Terabithia, at the part where the friend passes away...he completely lost it!!! At first he wouldn't talk about it, Judy asked me what I thought was wrong, and I responded that he was probably remembering. SHe asked if he was remembering Elaine, I said I think so.....he lost it a little more! He actually ended up sleeping by me, he did start to talk to me (eventually) and he said "I remember her mom like it was yesterday..the stuff we did....she was my best friend" at which point my waterworks turned on fulll bore! He ended up crying himself to sleep! Anyways....I told him that you would be so touched that he does remember (even if at times he acts otherwise)."
 (Elaine is on the left - a puppy and Handen is in the stroller - cookie monster)
 Here are some pictures of them together.  My favorite are of Elaine force feeding Handen a sucker.  They did everything together.  They drew chalk lines together, and got into trouble with leap pads...  They would also fight over who got to pet baby Vi when she was outside in her johnny jump up.  They would push Vi around like it was a swing.  Handen is 6 months younger than Elaine.  He was too little to be allowed in the hospital.  After she died he hated me and Darin.  He refused to come to our apartment because we had taken his friend away.  It was so sad to see a little 2 1/2 year old mourn and try to understand.  For a long time, a couple years he would ask his mom to take him to the cemetery to leave stuff for her there.  Now he is almost 11.  He is a typical boy.  I figured that by now he had all but forgotten her.  He was so little.  I know we tease him a lot (out of love I swear!) and he has heard stories about her and seen pictures and home movies, but he does remember.  Poor kid has been traumatized like the rest of us, only we really didn't realize until now, eight and a half years later.  We all love and miss you Elaine!